In order to perform your colonoscopy or endoscopy, you must follow the instructions below. Failing to do so will mean having to reschedule your procedure. If you prefer a paper version, please click on the link below to download a printable copy or call our office and we will mail you one.
A nurse will attempt to contact you by telephone the day prior to your scheduled procedure to confirm your appointment. Pre-operative calls are done between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. Please call 541-472-4880 if you have not received a call.
Due to unexpected changes in our surgery schedule, the exact time of your procedure may be different than what you were told when you made your appointment. We will have you arrive approximately 1 hour prior to your scheduled surgery time.
Follow The Instructions Below
- Do not eat or drink anything (including water) after midnight unless otherwise instructed. You may brush your teeth or rinse your mouth, but please do not swallow.
- If you are having a colonoscopy, it is very important that you follow the diet and instructions given to you by your doctor. Please contact your doctor if you have not received instructions for taking the colon prep.
- No alcohol the night prior to surgery (there is a possibility of alcohol reacting with the anesthetic agents).
- Uncontrolled blood sugar can contribute to infection. Speak with your physician if you do not have good control of your blood sugar.
- Limit smoking the morning of surgery.
- Regular Medications: Take your medication according to your physicians’ instructions. If you have not received any instructions, please take all medications except:
- Oral diabetic medications
- If you take Coumadin or aspirin please contact your physician.
- Bathe in the morning before coming to the surgery center and wear clean comfortable clothing. We will have you change into a patient gown.
- If you wear glasses, please bring an eyeglass case.
- Leave all valuables, including money and jewelry, at home.
Please do not feel awkward or reluctant to ask questions about our infection prevention program. Our physicians and nurses follow a strict hand-washing protocol. If you see anyone fail to follow it, we want you to know that you have a voice regarding your care.
A RESPONSIBLE ADULT MUST DRIVE YOU HOME. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIDE, YOUR PROCEDURE WILL BE CANCELLED.
For your driver’s comfort, we have a comfortable lobby with coffee and tea where they can wait for your procedure to be over. If they must leave for a short time, please ask them to check in with the nurse or receptionist to find out when they must return. We want your experience with us to be a positive and pleasant one.
If you have any questions about these instructions, please call us at 541-472-4880.